Tuesday 14 July 2009

Why Paladins are cool - IMO

So as I mentioned before I've finally settled on a paladin to play with. The reasons were quite simple, but surely based around a good class to play content on my own.

Yes I'm in a guild, no I'm not playing with them with this paladin, yes I do play with them with my rogue.

I've played as a rogue for a long while, and as fun as it is, its not a class that can run in, and live to tell the tale. The paladin however can do this!!

My paladin is a really fresh change from sneaking around, everything I encounter that might want to hurt me, comes at me and dies, often along with some friends that just sort of get dragged in ;)

So whats new?

Well other than the fact I can't hide from the bulk of my attackers, and quickly stab them in the back, not a great deal.

Actually that's a lie.

There are heaps of differences.




First off I started in ghostlands, not a place I've really bothered with before, other than previously helping some lowbies in our guild run through. So the initial experience was a completely new area to start up in. My rogue was undead, so he started over in undercity.

I don't recall any of the quests I'd done with guild mates here, so doing them was really refreshing and fun.

My new pally made really short work of everything in the starter area, no surprise there, I don't think anyone can have trouble there. The first mini boss went down easy. A quick run later and I'd made it to something like level 4 and off to the dead scar section, before popping over to silvermoon.

I've not died yet, something most might not find all that interesting, but in my experience dying happened all to often on my rogue.

Another thing I should add here, is the fact that I've done all the quests. Since I'd made up my mind to solo everything, I wanted to to do everything solo.

Getting into the actual ghostlands, I must have been about level 14 ish.

Here instead of slowing down, my ganking took an upward spiral. That's right, paladins pee all over undead with holy buffs and crits on undead.


This is why I love being a paladin.

There are two bosses patrolling the ghostlands, one I remember being called knucklerot. I do remember my guildies having huge problems with this guy.

The first time I ran into this guy, having run away, (what? he's a lvl 21 elite, I'm level 18) I noticed that there was a group of 3 players, a mage/priest/rogue trying to take him down. They failed, and I felt sorry for them.

Then I did something silly. I thought what the heck, I'll give it a go. So I tagged him. I'm a jewelcrafter so I have a stone carving healer, among self buffing things, potions and the ability to ignore damage while i heal for 12 seconds.

Buffed and crazy, the fight went stupidly easy, it was over quickly, he didn't even hit me back once.

A level 18 vs a lvl 21 elite.

Sure it took a great deal for me to micro manage my stuns, heals, and rescue health packages. But I did it. Not only that but the previous group had rezed and were just watching me do it.

Having looted and chuckled to myself for actually pulling something like this off, I got an invite. Naturally I ignored it. I'm soloing after all, but I did suggest that if they tagg'd him first and dealt some damage I would swoop in and add extra damage to help them from wiping.

I did this on both those elites with them. Gaining nothing, except for the sheer awesome knowledge I could do it on my own.

I've done it a few times since.

I've also soloed all of deatholme except for the elite boss with 3k health in the middle. Its not that I wont do him, but I know I'm likely to die in there, and I'd rather not. I might try him soon since now I'm level 22 and could probably take him on with no trouble, even if he does have help.

That's another great thing about paladins. Not only can I buff myself, heal myself and gank, I can gank more than one enemy at a time. I have AOE's.

Dropping two AOE's will kill any mob I have coming at me round the level 18 mark. A few hits later, or a self heal, and I've just dropped 4 enemies in one go. My rogue main is crying right about now. That said this is only most effective against undead enemies, but not exclusive to just them.

Now c'mon, that's cool.

Now I'm level 22 and exalted with the chaps in ghostlands.

I've made the jump over to undercity, so I can quest there and run the instance round there. I should probably go try running the one in Ogrimmar first though, if I remember correctly that's a lower one, and therefore easier to solo.

On a side note, a guildie that has a paladin, and is stuck at level 30 wants me to come and help him out of his grinding rut. I'm thinking about it, but since I want to solo content, I'm not sure I will, but if I do I should be able to see the group abilities as a protection paladin come into play. I'm still unsure, in the event I do, it will only be because I've soloed what he wants to do first, then do it again with him coming along.

I'll probably just use my rogue so my paladin stays exclusively a solo player.

Do you play as a paladin, and if s/he's not your main, what great differences have you noticed?

No comments: