Friday 17 July 2009

How my Guild makes me laugh!

Yes its that time of year when it seems everyone is winding down from WoW, going on holiday, and generally just taking a break from the daily routine and grind.

I played very briefly last night, I had a a little time on my rogue and some on my paladin, just running around doing some grinding, nothing worthy of noting.

What I think is worth noting is something that I think my friends in my Guild have only just come to realise:


Rangeybear: "I'd almost go as far as to say your deliberately not leveling to 80 just so we can moan at you for not catching up".

Me: "Me...not level....on purpose.... noooo...never!!"

Rangerbear: "That's it. No more tea drinking for you!"

Me: "Carling o'clock then every time I'm on?"

Rangeybear: "You'd never get that drunk anyway...".


The convo did dwindle off a little, but in essence the beginning hit the nail on the head. I've not joined WoW from a group of gamers that support it, rather I started off as a WoW hater, but willing to see why it was so bad. It was something that sucked the soul from your very dearest of friends, and then you had to coax them back into the normal realm of the gamer.

So I had prejudices about WoW. I still do.

I'll say it right now, sometimes I wonder why anyone plays the game. A subscription is something I'm not keen on. Fast tracking a character to 80 is something I can't understand. I thought that the only appeal with any game, is the experience it grants you to get involved in. In WoWs case, I'd argue that the main experience in the game is the massive volumes of story that shapes the lands of Azeroth.

I'm guilty of racing through the game on my rogue, in an attempt to catch up to my friends levels, but in the end, I came out of it worse for not knowing all that much about what I've done in said game.

Things I won't do unless I can help it:

  • Level any character I have to 80, for the purpose of anything but my own.
  • Raid with people I don't know, or raid at all if I can really help it.
  • Rush through the game to get to the end content.

Essentially I am a solo player anyway, so it comes as no surprise I only really play with my guild when it suits me. My experiment with my paladin to solo everything is really enjoyable.

Yes my rogue is sitting at lvl 78 and quite possibly wont move from there unless a new level cap is introduced. I shall play as many quests, experience as much lore as possible, and ENJOY playing the game rather than chasing endgame content.

I'm almost deliberately not leveling so my friends can have something to moan about, just for the laughs we have when chatting online. Not that this makes a huge impact on them or me, but its a fun social interaction we have via the Internet as supposed to face to face over a BBQ.

WoW isn't the only game I play, far from it, I've got my fingers in a great many gaming pies, however I find my style of approaching WoW is quite different to most peoples regarding how its played. I'm in it to experience the lore and enjoy every zone on offer.

So to sum up, I'm banned now from my routine of booting up WoW, with a cuppa in one hand and my mouse in the other. Especially if Rangeybear is online.

On the plus side, I have to drink Carling while I'm on when he is.

My friends are sometimes really good to me.

No comments: